Saturday 29 September 2018

Rijeka

Dobar dan!

From Ljubljana I took a bus to Rijeka in Croatia. This time I did notice the border. While Croatia is in the European Union it's still outside the Schengen Area, so there's a good old-fashioned passport check at the border. Most of the passengers had EU passports that they simply waved at the border guard like Jedi knights but we did have to wait a while for the two Australians to have their passports properly inspected and stamped. Because you you can never be too careful when it comes to Australians... I of course hadn't bothered to bring my passport, I just hid under the seat.


When I got to Rijeka I immediately fell in love with the city. I mean just look at the above picture, that was the first sign I saw in Rijeka. How can you disagree with that? And just like Bologna they have their own leaning tower.


Rijeka of course just means river in Serbo-Croatian. Depending on what variety of the language you speak it can also be spelt Reka or Rika. Here's a picture of me on the main street.


On a side street I found the good ship "Dobro More 2". I'm still not quite sure what it was good for. Maybe it was an art installation of some kind. I don't know but it was rather rusty.


After a while I got tired of being the captain of a rusty head of metal that wasn't going anywhere. So I decided to climb a lot of stairs to get to the Trsat Castle where I met this guy.


He wasn't the only mythological creature I encountered there. You may remember from my Top 5 list of statues and sculptures that I met and defeated a basilisk all on my own.
The view from the castle was magnificent. You could see the whole city and more.


What you see in the background is the Istrian peninsula, which was my next stop. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment