Sunday 23 September 2018

Venice

Hello people!

Here's some more travel-blogging for you! This is going to be the first post in a series of posts about a trip I did last year from Venice to Croatia via Slovenia.

Me and one of my humans in Venice
Last year I spent my summer holiday travelling round the northern Adriatic. I started of in Venice and ended up in Pula in Croatia. You can see my route on the map below.


As you know I love Italy. (How could you not love the country of pizza and gelato?) So one day l decided to hop on a flight to Venice.


I like Venice. There are of course way too many tourists but when you get tired of elbowing your way through the masses you can always just take a detour somewhere and wander round the less-crowded alleys for a while. There's always something pretty or interesting to look at. 


You may even run into something completely unexpected like in the photo below. What on earth is going on there? I really don't know.


I really wanted to steer a gondola but they wouldn't let me. grumble, grumble. Apparently you need to be a member of the gondoliers' guild and have licence, which requires you to pass a difficult exam. So unnecessary, I'm sure I would have been good at it.


Did you know that word ciao originally comes from Venice? It literally means slave, so when when you say ciao to people you're really saying I'm your slave i.e. I'm at your service. Think about that the next time feel like using the word ciao.


The one place you have to go in Venice is of course St. Mark's square. Brace yourself before you go there, though. During peak season there will way too many people.

Me in front of St. Mark's clocktower
Of course when in  Rome  Venice you have to get a real handmade Venetian carnival mask.


The next post will be about Trieste. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment